You may receive an event invitation from the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade and other area business associations such as the Downtown Surrey BIA and the South Surrey White Rock Chamber of Commerce for an event on September 5 called: Business Issues and Community Priorities Local Election Briefing to take place in New Westminster.
The intent of this event is to invite election candidates from within the 21 cities of Metro Vancouver.
The Surrey Board of Trade will not be participating in this event for the following reasons:
1. The Greater Vancouver Board of Trade (GVBOT) does not represent the businesses throughout Metro Vancouver and is not conversant in the issues and needs of Surrey;
2. The GVBOT’s Economic Scorecard to be featured at this event is not a representation of Surrey needs;
3. Dialogue and debate at the municipal level should be focused on the needs of our city. Debates organized by business organizations outside of Surrey serve to strengthen their issues at the potential expense of ours;
4. Given that Surrey has many diverse needs – we ask that you focus your campaign efforts and debate on Surrey and Surrey’s business community. It is those in Surrey that will be voting for you and need to hear from you.
The Surrey Board of Trade supports and attracts business in Surrey. We are also the owners of the name Surrey Chamber of Commerce. We are recognized for our work to instigate change at various levels of government in addition to our delivery of services and programs for business development, international trade, workforce development, and business connections. Further, we have numerous programming and advocacy for youth in Surrey.
The Surrey Board of Trade believes that Surrey should come first in political discussions and advocacy – and we support a unified voice for the businesses and residents of Surrey.
The Surrey Board of Trade invites Surrey Local Government Election Candidates to find out more by going to www.businessinsurrey.com or contacting our CEO Anita Huberman firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attend the Surrey Board of Trade Local Government Election Candidate Dialogues focused on Surrey:
October 10 – Surrey Mayor Candidates Dialogue – Sheraton Hotel (15269-104 Avenue)
October 11 – Surrey Councillor Candidate Dialogue – Eaglequest Golf Course (7778-152 Street)
October 18 – Surrey School Trustee Dialogue – Eaglequest Golf Course (7778-152 Street)
– all taking place from 5:30-8:00pm
Those wanting to attend these sessions can register at www.businessinsurrey.com or email email@example.com