The Surrey Board of Trade will be providing updates on business supports and advocacy. If you need anything or to indicate what is going on, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or cell at 604-340-3899.
1. BUSINESS SUPPORT AND CONNECTIONS: The Surrey Board of Trade has invoked Ground Zero Principles. Staff have been redeployed from their work plans to call and help businesses. The Surrey Board of Trade is your concierge of connections for business support during this challenging time.
2. GOVERNMENT ADVOCACY: I have been on phone calls yesterday and today with the BC Premier, BC Finance Minister and the Prime Minister’s office, with some local Surrey MP’s (Hardie and Sarai) and a local MLA (Redies) to articulate the need for business cash flow and expense/tax relaxation to help business. More business supports will be announced tomorrow – March 18. Our ask to government is to keep access to support simple, find ways to reduce business expenses/taxation in the short-term and that loans will only increase the debt burden for business.
3. BUSINESS/ORGANIZATION PERSPECTIVE: I am hearing from many Surrey businesses and service organizations who are calling/emailing myself and my colleagues about significant business impacts. I hope that tomorrow’s announcement by the federal government, and subsequently by the provincial government will offer some economic recovery.
4. GOVERNMENT SUPPORT: I am on 8am calls each morning with the Federal Government, specifically with Ministry of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade, as we hear the pain points across the country for our manufacturing, trade and small business sector. Initial business supports are identified below.
ACTION: If you have a specific ask/idea to the federal government I have a direct line into them now for them to hear from the Surrey Board of Trade on COVID-19 Impact and ideas to support business.
5. NEEDED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES: https://buyandsell.gc.ca/calling-all-suppliers-help-canada-combat-covid-19
6. COVID-19 BUSINESS SUPPORT WEBINAR on March 13 with Surrey Board of Trade Business and International Trade Centre Sponsor, PwC: https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1290073&tp_key=d095167e03
7. SURVEYS: Calls with our provincial and national chamber of commerce have also been taking place to identify business supports and gain ground-zero intelligence on business impacts.
PLEASE FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS:
ONE: Surrey Board of Trade: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZTNPGJX
TWO: BC Chamber of Commerce: https://www.bcmindreader.com/c/r/covid-impact-survey-2020-chambers
The Surrey Board of Trade is here to support business.
CEO, Surrey Board of Trade
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES – GO TO SURREY BUSINESS DIRECTORY: https://businessinsurrey.com/membership/
(e.g. order from Surrey restaurants)
COVID-19 RESOURCE BY CANADA’S GOVERNMENT: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
LABOUR AND HR ASSISTANCE BY FASKEN: Surrey Board of Trade Business and International Trade Centre sponsor: https://www.fasken.com/en/knowledge/2020/03/pandemic-planning-for-employers-responding-to-the-coronavirus-disease-2019
WORK-SHARING PROGRAM: Temporary special measures / Programme de travail partagé – Mesures spéciales temporaires:
EMPLOYMENT INSURANCE: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Employment and Social Development Canada
LOANS: Export Development Canada COVID-19:
LOANS: Business Development Bank of Canada – Support for Entrepreneurs impacted by coronavirus:
BUSINESS RESOURCES: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Resources for Canadian businesses / Maladie à coronavirus (COVID-19) : Ressources pour les entreprises canadiennes
English : https://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/campaign-campagne/ressources-entreprises-COVID-19-business-resources.aspx?lang=eng
HEALTH: COVID-19 subscription for Public Health Updates:
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT APP: Dedicated COVID-19 tile has been added to the Canada Business App, providing links to government announcements and information for businesses. More information about the App can be found at www.canada.ca/business-app