Unfortunately we have an unexpected increase in property taxes for businesses.
You will be charged a 5% penalty if you do not pay your property taxes by midnight, July 2. You will be charged a further 5% after September 2.
In preparation for the next tax season:
- Tell your government officials locally, regionally and provincially by letter, in person, presentations, social media that high, unforeseen tax increases are unsustainable. SUPPORT BUSINESS, DON’T SHUT US DOWN
- Make sure your business is under the right tax classification with your city.
- Make sure your assessments are evaluated by an expert when you receive them in January.
- Advocate for a better assessment and land value structure.
- Advocate to ensure that all levels of government are transparent and accountable on upcoming tax decisions and changes.
- Ask the government what businesses will be receiving in return for paying such high tax increases (for some as high as 150%).
– From the Surrey Board of Trade
(Advocating for a fair tax climate for businesses. Asking Businesses to Add their Individual Voices)