What is #SurreyStrong?
#SurreyStrong is a shop local initiative of the Surrey Board of Trade, aimed at boosting local spending. This is a rallying cry – an inspirational call to action. We can come out of this pandemic stronger because we looked out for each other. It takes a village. WE ARE THE VILLAGE. The #SurreyStrong campaign is composed of:
- A Surrey shopper survey to understand local shopping patterns and how local businesses can better serve shoppers and compete against big box stores and online giants. Read the summary report.
- Focus groups of local business representatives to better understand the challenges of local retailers.
- A digital toolkit for businesses to both expand their reach and draw attention to their local business, and align themselves with the #SurreyStrong campaign.
- A video series of stories featuring local business owners.
- A media campaign to promote the #SurreyStrong initiative.
- A giveaway to encourage shoppers to visit local businesses.
- A wrap up event in June to celebrate the successes of our local businesses.
What it means for Surrey shoppers
Surrey shoppers are the reason that local businesses have been surviving. We want to show our appreciation and encourage more to transition to supporting local businesses. The impact of spending at a locally-owned business is clear. For every $100 spent locally, $63 is recirculated into the local economy, versus $14 for every $100 spent at multinational businesses.
Shoppers are encouraged to explore locally-owned businesses. We will be distributing window stickers for businesses and encourage shoppers to snap a photo and participate in our giveaway.
What it means for Surrey businesses
Small businesses are the backbone of our economy, but they have been shattered by the pandemic. We want to strengthen locally-owned businesses so that we all come out of this together. Businesses will be provided with a toolkit to extend their social media reach and understand the tools available to market their business. They will be enabled to participate and support the #SurreyStrong initiative, helping to drive more traffic to their sites or stores.
We are also gathering data to help local businesses have a better understanding of what customers want, what is important to them, and how businesses can use that information to enhance their business offerings.
Businesses will be selected to be profiled on social media throughout the campaign – sharing the story of their pandemic journey.
Request your free window sticker! Email email@example.com. Available in English, Punjabi, Tagalog and simplified Chinese. Report your participation in the campaign and claim your free listing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Printable Window Stickers (available in English, Punjabi, Tagalog and simplified Chinese)
Residents can win a huge prize package ($1,700+) consisting of local business products and services, and a $500 Visa gift card!
How to enter
Head to the @SBofT Instagram post for details.
Bonus entry: Snap a pic when you see the #SurreyStrong sticker online or at a store and tag @sboft for bonus entries!
The contest will close at 11:59pm on May 30th, with the winner being announced via @sboft. Good luck to all those who enter!